Friday, March 14, 2014

Reflections of Vietnam

A few weeks ago we docked in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Although I've already posted a few pictures from my time in Vietnam I haven’t properly reflected on my time in this country.

Vietnam!
 wasn't sure what to expect from Vietnam and stepped off the ship somewhat cautiously. I’ll admit that I don’t know much about this country. Thanks to my [insert sarcasm] wonderful high school education, my history classes never made it past the Civil War and therefore I don’t even know about the U.S.-Vietnam War let alone the country’s history or culture. I feel that Vietnam is a sensitive topic in the U.S. due to the War’s outcome and because of this, I was a bit hesitant to visit this country. During my time in Vietnam, I tried to be quiet and present to soak up as much information as possible.

While in Vietnam I spent time in both Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. HCMC is in southern Vietnam and is very modern and cosmopolitan, just like any other big, Asian city. Hanoi is located in northern Vietnam and has a more historic feel. The buildings are older and streets narrower. Hanoi is heavily influenced by French colonialism and if you squint, you might think you’re sitting at a cafe in Paris rather than Vietnam. My tour guide explained that there is some tension between the north and the south. The south has been westernized and the north thinks the south is losing the country’s history and culture.

Downtown Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Overall, I very much enjoyed my time in Vietnam. Three things allowed me to have a great time in this country: the people, Ha Long Bay and shopping. The people were incredibly welcoming and wonderful. They helped me cross the street despite the hectic traffic and were honest when I gave too much money trying to buy souvenirs. The people of this country made a HUGE difference in my travels. 

Also, I really enjoyed Ha Long Bay. It’s no wonder this place is a natural wonder of the world – it’s gorgeous! It was foggy and mysterious with rocks jutting out of the water and suddenly appearing right in front you;  I loved it! I recommend that you go see it because my pictures just don’t do this justice.

My love of shopping came out full force in Vietnam. Things were CHEAP! I’m talking $3 pants and nice, $5 sandals. You have to bargain in the markets but the merchants were pretty good about giving decent prices.  


So, would I go back to Vietnam? Yes. Wholeheartedly yes. And you should check it out too!

No comments:

Post a Comment