If you are
templed-out from reading all about the Shwedagon Pagoda in my first post about
my Myanmar travels, do not continue reading because MANY more are coming your
way!
 |
| Umbrellas for sale at one of the temples. |
On my second
day in Myanmar, I took an early morning flight to begin my 4-day, 3-night trip
to Bagan. Bagan is located in central Myanmar in what is considered a dry zone.
The dry heat could be felt immediately, as the humidity I experienced in Yangon
had completely vanished when I stepped off the plane in Bagan. The landscape
reminded me a bit of some areas in Texas and the southwest U.S. with sandy,
reddish dirt and scrubby-looking shrubs and trees that crackle when the hot air
blows through.
The unique
thing about Bagan is that red brick and gold temples pop out of the semi-arid
landscape. Now, I’m not talking a few temples here and there. Bagan features
over 2,000 temples, pagodas and monasteries! The sheer number of temples is
amazing; they stretch across the Bagan plains for as far as the eye can see. I tried to take pictures of the expanse of
temples but my camera doesn’t do it justice.
 |
| Ananada Temple |
My trip
included visits to several temples and pagodas (including Mount Popa, which
included a 700+ step staircase to get to the very top temples!) but also to a
monastery to distribute food and hygiene products, a local village to see what
life is really like for Myanmar citizens as well as a sunset cruise down the
Irrawaddy River. The trip culminated with a candle- and temple-lite dinner and
dancing elephant performance. The dinner was like something straight out of The Bachelor-so romantic-and the dancing
elephant performance was very unique. I liken the elephant dance to the dancing
dragons that you see celebrating Chinese New Year, just with a different
animal.
Aside from the
beautiful temple visits and chance to see a “real” side of Myanmar, I enjoyed
this trip as well as the remainder of my travels in this country because of the
people. Myanmar has not been open to foreigners for very long so tourists are
still an oddity. I was welcomed whole-heartedly everywhere I went and people
were genuinely friendly and interested in me. Despite having a fairly new
tourist industry in Myanmar, they are well set-up with nice, cheap hotels and
amazing restaurants serving great, safe meals. If you are interested in
traveling somewhere in Asia where you won’t be hassled at every stop and
instead welcomed to the country, Myanmar has my vote. Visit Myanmar and visit
now.
 |
| Horse-cart ride through the Bagan plains. |
 |
| Htilomirelo Temple. |
 |
| Htilomirelo Temple. |
 |
| Local monastery. I don't blame this dog-it was HOT! |
 |
| Mount Popa in the background. |
 |
| Fellow SAS staffer Cate and I on the Irrawaddy River. |
 |
| This guy was very proud of his cattle. |
 |
| Shwesandaw Stupa. |
 |
| Shwezigon Pagoda. |
 |
| Sunset over the Irrawaddy River. |
 |
| Sunset over Bagan temples. |
 |
| View from Bagan Muo Temple during sunset. |
 |
| View from Bagan Muo during sunset. |
 |
| View from the top of Mount Popa. |
 |
| View of the temples in Bagan. |
 |
| Dancing elephant at our farewell dinner. |
 |
| Candlelight farewell dinner. |
No comments:
Post a Comment