Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Vietnam Photo Essay

I haven't gotten a chance to write up a proper reflection of my time in Vietnam, but wanted to pass along a few pictures to illustrate what I did in this crazy country. I had no idea what to expect out of Vietnam but really enjoyed my time there.

I am arriving in Burma tomorrow morning and have been told that internet communications will be sparse. Therefore, expect a full update of not only Burma but also Vietnam and Singapore in early March when my internet is restored again.

Enjoy a few photos from Vietnam.
One of the students demonstrating how to get into the Cu Chi tunnels.
View of the tunnels in Cu Chi from inside. These have been enlarged for tourists. Up to 16,000 people lived in these tunnels for 8 years during the U.S/Vietnam War. I can't even imagine!
Visiting the Cu Chi Tunnels near Ho Chi Minh City. Turns out I'm a little claustrophobic!
Ha Long Bay in northern Vietnam.
Ha Long Bay, one of the natural wonders of the world, and I can see why. It was beautiful!
Ha Long Bay in Vietnam.
Rice paddies on the drive from Ha Long Bay to Ha Noi. It is planting season in Vietnam right now so I saw many women out hard at work in the fields.
The mausoleum for Ho Chi Minh located in Ha Noi. I did not go in to see his body. No thank you!
Presidential Palace in Ha Noi. The tour guide said that Ho Chi Minh would not live in this palace because it's grandeur separated him from the people. So, he built a smaller house near this one.
Souvenirs in the French Quarter in Ha Noi. These are water puppets and I was able to see  a water puppet performance while in Ha Noi. 
View of Ho Chi Minh City from the ship, deck 7.
Reunification Palace in Ho Chi Minh City, which is like the White House for the U.S.
So many motorbikes. Ho Chi Minh City has a population of 10 million and there are said to be 5 million motorbikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment