 |
| Hassan II mosque in Casablanca. |
Had you asked
me where this phrase comes from a week ago I wouldn’t have been able to tell
you because I don’t tend to watch movies that were made before me. However, in
preparation for our port-of-call in Casablanca, Morocco, the student life staff
organized a screening of the movie Casablanca
and having just completed a five-day stint in Morocco, I am now fully apprised
of both the movie and also the actual city!
We arrived in
Casablanca on Wednesday and I spent the first day touring the city. The main attraction
in Casablanca is the Hassan II Mosque, an enormous structure that can
accommodate 25,000 worshippers inside and another 80,000 outside! The Mosque is
the largest mosque in Africa and one of the largest in the world. The Mosque is
very modern with Moorish-style ornate details. The architecture reminded me of
the Alhambra in Granada which was also influenced by
the Moors.
 |
| Rick's Cafe in Casablanca. |
The other top
attraction in Casablanca is Rick’s Café. Now this is not the same café as
featured in Casablanca but it’s
designed to have the same feel. I only took pictures from the outside because unfortunately
I’d heard from other SASers that the service was poor and the food and drinks
were overpriced. Considering I’d only discovered the movie a few days prior, a
picture from the outside sufficed!
I spent the
remainder of my time in Morocco camel trekking and nomad camping near
Marrakech. I was pretty anxious about this trip for two reasons: (1) about two
days before the trip, a faculty member told me all these horror stories about
people falling off camels. I was very worried and even Googled “how to ride a
camel” in hopes that some secret would be revealed. The big secret was “hold
on!” (2) I don’t camp. By “don’t camp” I mean I’ve never done it before and
have never had a desire to begin a camping career. However I guess if you have to
have a first camping experience, Morocco is an exotic enough place to give it a
try. I am happy to report that I am alive and well after a night spent in the
Moroccan wilderness and I did not fall off my camel!
Marrakech is
located inland about three hours from Casablanca and is called the “red city”
because all the buildings are red in color. The city is incredibly charming and
full of all sorts of Moroccan delights including snake-charmers, monkey-handlers,
wonderful food including traditional tajine, Moroccan spices and more. I spent about one day in
Marrakech but this was not enough. I want to go back to Marrakech…and soon!
Spending a few
days in Morocco was a great way to end the spring voyage. There were enough
things to see and do to stay busy but not so many things that you didn’t get
enjoy time with friends. It’s crazy to think in just a few days I’ll arrive in
Southampton, England – our final port-of-call for the spring 2014 voyage. Where
did the time go?!
 |
| Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca. |
 |
| Inside the mosque. |
 |
| Getting all set up on our camels. |
 |
| Camel ride in Morocco! |
 |
| Mama and baby camels. |
 |
| View of the N’fis Wadi River Valley near Marrakech in Morocco. |
 |
| High Atlas Mountains in Morocco. |
 |
| View of the N’fis Wadi River Valley in Morocco. |
 |
| Pouring Moroccan mint tea. |
 |
| View of Marrakech at sunset. |
No comments:
Post a Comment