Saturday, January 11, 2014

And we’re off…

Hello from the M.V. Explorer! As I write this blog, we are speeding away from Ensenada, Mexico on the way to Hilo, Hawaii. Wondering what my last few days have looked like?
  • January 7: After a wonderful visit to Riverside, CA, to see my friend Erinn, Erinn and I successfully navigated the California freeways and made our way to San Diego. After exploring San Diego for a bit, Erinn departed and I settled into a hotel for the evening to prepare for embarkation.
  • January 8: Embarkation day for faculty and staff! At 13:00 I made my way to the port with a few newly-made SAS friends and boarded the M.V. Explorer. I unpacked my suitcases and got my room set up and then orientation began in the afternoon. We had a few meetings, got to know each other and had a Captain’s Reception. Unfortunately the Captain was not able to attend because of travel delays in getting to San Diego but it was fun nonetheless (P.S. he has since arrived and is steering the ship. Don’t worry-we have a captain!).
  • January 9: More orientation for faculty and staff. We had a few meetings but also got some time to work with immediate co-workers. My co-workers in the field office are Julie and Andrew. We will make a great team. After a lifeboat drill in the evening, we departed San Diego for Ensenada, Mexico. Also, two of my fellow staff members became engaged during the evening in a very public proposal. What a way to begin the voyage! (And fortunately, she said yes. That could have been an awkward 115 days.)
  • January 10: One more brief orientation session and then the students began to arrive! The ship is full with the energy and excitement of nearly 600 students. I worked all day in the field office answering student questions. After another lifeboat drill we departed Ensenada at 17:00 bound for Hilo, Hawaii. Six days until we see dry land again.
Has it only been 3 days since I boarded the ship?! It seems like weeks already since so much has happened.
Student's arriving in Mexico! 
First glimpse's of the open ocean as we depart Mexico.
Departing Mexico.
Departing Mexico.

My home until May 2: the M.V. Explorer.

No comments:

Post a Comment