Believe it or not, one month ago today I disembarked the M.V. Explorer to end the summer voyage. I want to say "Where has the time gone?!" but to be honest, I've been so busy since I left the ship that it almost seems my time spent working for Semester at Sea was part of another life!
So, what have I been up to since disembarkation on August 21? I am happy to announce I accepted a position at
Penn State University. My title is Education Abroad Advisor and I working on September 15. It was a pretty quick turnaround - after I got off the ship, I had to find a place to live in
State College, PA, pack up all my belongings and move halfway across the country again.
 |
| Packing up the truck. |
 |
| I was the only one small enough to crawl under the car to hook it up. Lucky me! |
 |
| Ready to go! |
Luckily, I was able to find an apartment and most of my belongings were still packed from when I moved them into my parent's basement before starting graduate school. After a somewhat minor accident with the moving truck in the Chicago suburbs, my dad and I made it to PA and I got all settled into my new home. (Somewhat minor accident = having driver's side mirror broken by a passing semi. I consider this a minor accident because no one was injured. However, not being able to see along the driver's side of the vehicle, plus having to have the mirror fixed in a town nearby Gary, IN, caused this accident to lead to the scariest hour of my life.)
Despite busily rushing to another job and area of the country, you may be wondering how I'm adjusting to life back in the good ol' U.S. of A. The answer is: overall, pretty well. However, here are a few things that have been challenging.
- Grocery stores: These are WAY too overwhelming. No one needs that many options for cereal, spaghetti sauce, etc. More is not always better.
- Cooking: Between grad school and living on Semester at Sea's ship, I have done very little cooking in the past two years. Unfortunately my cooking skills did not magically improve during this hiatus. My first dive back into the cooking arena was making pizza for my dad and I when we arrived in PA. I left the cardboard under the pizza and could have burned down my apartment. Not a great way to start off my cooking career again!
- Commuting: Where is my five minute commute of running up the stairs to my office on the ship? You mean I have to drive or take the bus for 20 whole minutes?! Not cool.
Below you will find some pictures on my new apartment. I still have a few things I'd like to do, but for the most part I'm feeling settled.
The dilemma now is: do I continue on with this blog about my exciting new life in rural Pennsylvania or end it on a high note with all my Semester at Sea travels? The answer is unknown at this point so check back every now and again to see what I'm up to in PA. OR better yet: come visit me and we'll find something blog-worthy to do! :)
 |
| Living room of my new apartment. |
 |
| View as you walk in the front door of the apartment. I have a big patio with nice outdoor space. |
 |
| Kitchen and dining room. |
 |
| Bathroom. Small but just enough space for me. |
 |
| Bedroom. I still need to hang up a few more pictures in here. |
 |
| Bedroom in my new apartment. |
No comments:
Post a Comment